Working together to provide excellence in education for our children.
The Avalon and Stone Harbor Elementary School districts were consolidated starting with the 2011-12 school year. Students in grades K-4 from both communities attend the school in Stone Harbor, while students in PreK and grades 5-8 go to the school in Avalon.
Avalon and Stone Harbor Elementary Schools offer a comprehensive, complete elementary-school curriculum, including: art, vocal music, instrumental music, library, Spanish, physical education, health, computer technology, band and drama. With small class sizes (fewer than 20 pupils), students receive the individual attention they need to not only succeed, but to excel past their peers.
The objectives of our schools are as follows:
- To make the students the heart of the schools, with every teacher giving instruction in sound fundamentals and inspiring every student to work to the limit of his/her ability.
- To develop in each child a full appreciation and acceptance of the responsibilities as well as the privileges of our democratic society.
- To develop the habits and attitudes essential for personal integrity and civic competence.
- To emphasize maximum achievement and proficiency in the fundamentals of reading, computation, writing, and oral and written composition.
- To help pupils recognize and discover interests and aptitude for vocational purposes as well as for personal growth and development.
- To promote health and physical fitness.
- To develop the traits of initiative and self-reliance through classroom practices.
- To teach respect for other pupils, for adults, and for constituted authority.